Teaching English to the Young Learner
Who should take this program?
If you are already enrolled in the full-time Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Professional certificate or the Special Studies in TEFL certificate program, and you are interested in attaining additional competencies in teaching English as a foreign language to young people, you will benefit from our specialization in Teaching English to the Young Learner (TEYL).
The specialization in TEYL cannot be taken alone and must be paired with one of our other certificates.
What this program includes
Three required core courses:
- TEYL Classroom Management (3 units)
- Teaching Young English Learners in Primary Grades (Ages 4-7) (3 units)
- Teaching English to Intermediate Young Learners (Ages 8-11) (3 units)
You must choose an additional 3 units from the available electives each quarter.
- March 30 - June 11
- June 29 - September 10
- October 12 - December 10
- January 4 - March 18
- March 29 - June 10
- July 5 - September 16 (July 4 is a holiday)
- October 4 - December 9
View a complete list of all program dates.
Please find the minimum requirements listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the TEYL program will have a successful experience.
2021 Language Proficiency Requirement
You must have one of the following scores to participate in this program:
- TOEFL paper-based: 525
- TOEFL internet-based: 69
- IELTS: 5.5
- Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency Exams: Pass
- CEFR: B2
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 85
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 47
- TOEIC: 690
- GTEC CBT: 1126
- EIKEN: Pre-1
- Recommendation letter from UC San Diego ELI Academic Advisor for prospective students who excelled in ELI courses and programs (in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score)
2022 Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- CEFR: B2/C1
- Cambridge Scaled Score: 180 - C1 Advanced
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 110
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 58
- Listening: 445
- Reading: 420
- Speaking: 170
- Writing: 165
Other Admission Requirements
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
There are no final application deadlines to apply for this specialization, but all programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the specialization in Teaching English to the Young Learner (TEYL).
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Concurrent Certificate fee: $95
- It is possible to take some or most TEYL classes as part of your Special Studies in TEFL or TEFL Professional Certificate. Additional classes cost $450 each.
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)