University & Professional Studies
Who should take this program?
If you are a high-achieving university student or professional who would like to take a full-time schedule of credit-bearing classes at UC San Diego or UC San Diego Extension while studying alongside American university students, the University and Professional Studies (UPS) program might be right for you. With UPS, it is possible to study at the Bachelor’s and Master’s levels, across nearly all the departments at UC San Diego.
In fall, winter, and spring quarters, you can take a full-time program (12-units) consisting of UC San Diego and/or UC San Diego Extension courses, in any combination, for university credit. The following are some of the subjects that previous University and Professional Studies students have taken:
- Academic Writing
- Aerospace Engineering
- Business (upper-division undergraduate business courses through the Rady School of Management and graduate international business courses through the School of Global Policy and Strategy)
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- International Relations
- Mechanical Engineering
- Molecular Biology
- Political Science
- Spanish for Communication
- Stem Cell Biology
- Visual Arts
- and many more
For a complete list of all UC San Diego courses please search tritonlink.ucsd.edu. For UC San Diego Extension course offerings please see extension.ucsd.edu. Enrollment in all classes is on a space-available basis and requires instructor and/or departmental approval.
Note: UC San Diego Extension courses in Business, Leadership and Management, Master of Advanced Studies, and Law are not permitted for enrollment through UPS. Students in the UPS program may not enroll in graduate business courses at the Rady School of Management or any courses in the School of Medicine or the School of Pharmacy. Availability of graduate-level courses in other departments is limited and strictly controlled for prerequisites.
- Fall 2017: September 20 – December 16
2017 Application Deadlines:
- Winter: January 4 – March 24
- Spring: March 26 – June 15
- Summer: June 18 – September 8
- Fall: September 19 – December 15
2018 Application Deadlines:
- Winter 2018: November 3, 2017
- Spring 2018: February 9, 2018
- Summer 2018: May 11, 2018
- Fall 2018: July 27, 2018
We will continue to accept applications after the deadline on a space-available basis.
We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the University and Professional Studies (UPS) program will have a successful experience. The minimum acceptance requirements are listed below.
Language Proficiency Requirement:
Prospective students must have one of the following scores to participate in this program:
- TOEFL internet-based: 90
- IELTS 7.5
- Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Exams: Pass
CEFR (level C1)
Additional Admission Requirements:
A copy of transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies. Transcripts must clearly indicate excellent academic achievement – top 10% in his/her school.
UPS Course List Form of 12-15 courses per quarter, organized by quarter, that you would like to take at UC San Diego or UC San Diego Extension. Students must use the UPS Course List Form to submit their selections. UC San Diego courses are listed at tritonlink.ucsd.edu. For a list of all of UC San Diego Extension course offerings please see extension.ucsd.edu.
A one-page statement explaining your reasons for choosing UC San Diego for your study abroad experience.
Once admitted into the program, students must maintain above-average final grades in all coursework (“B” or better).
- 12-13 weeks each quarter
- Monday – Friday (occasional Saturday workshops)
- Schedule varies depending on classes chosen
Note: Participating in this educational program does not provide preference in admission to the University of California (UC) degree programs. Students interested in applying to UC degree programs should refer to the UC Admissions website or the websites of other UC campuses they wish to attend for details about their admissions process.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- Tuition: $7,800
- International Student Service Fee: $350 per quarter
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585 per quarter
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)