Who should take this certificate?
If you would like to learn the nuances of project management and process improvement from a global perspective, Project Management may be right for you. You will acquire the skills to plan, execute, and complete complex projects within various types of organizations and industries. You will also have the opportunity to apply new tools and methodologies in both comprehensive real-world and simulated hands-on projects. With this powerful professional certificate, you will gain the skills to manage successful, efficient, and high-quality projects as well as have the option to complete the educational requirements for the Project Management Institute's PMP or CAPM Certification exams. This intensive certificate can be completed in just two quarters and is designed for working professionals.
- Develop highly marketable competencies in project management
- Build strong interpersonal skills critical to conducting work in a team environment; enhance abilities to manage conflicts and address challenging situations.
- Complete a final capstone class, where you will have the opportunity to use the tools acquired in the program to complete a directed-studies project.
- Study with American and international students, building your professional network.
- Fulfills the necessary education hours required to apply for PMI’s Project Management Professional (PMP) exam or PMI’s Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) exam.
- Take this alone or in sequence with another business program; apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) after three consecutive quarters of study.
- Upon completion of the Project Management Certificate, some units can be transferred to the University of Wisconsin, Platteville, M.S. in Project Management (Master’s degree offered fully online). Learn more at: https://www.uwplatt.edu/program/project-management-online
Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- Spring 2020: March 25 - September 12
- Fall 2020: September 22 - March 20, 2021
Students may begin this full-time program in spring (March) or fall (September) quarters only. There is no entry to the program in winter or summer. View all program dates & prices.
Note: UC San Diego follows a quarter system. Each quarter consists of 10-12 weeks of full-time study. There are four quarters per year.
You will find the minimum acceptance requirements for the Project Management Certificate below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement:
- TOEFL iBT: 80
- TOEIC: 760
- IELTS: 6.5
- Cambridge Advanced Exam: Pass
- PTE: 64
- ELI Core Level: 109
Additional Admission Requirements:
- University study: successful completion of a three or four-year university degree. This requirement can only be waived for students with four or more years of full-time professional work experience.
- Work experience: A minimum of one year of full-time, post-university, professional work experience. Internships are acceptable.
- Official final university transcripts in English indicating a strong academic history; include grading key. If you have pursued graduate-level coursework or degrees, you must include those transcripts as well.
- Dated and signed letter of recommendation on academic or company letterhead from a professor or supervisor.
- Résumé or CV
- A one-page statement explaining your qualifications and motivation for taking the program
- You should have a strong working knowledge of the following Microsoft Office products: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- A spoken language phone screening may be required (this can be conducted in person if you are already in San Diego; otherwise it will be done electronically by phone, Skype, etc.).
- For prospective students who choose to attend English language courses at the UC San Diego English Language Institute in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score, we require a recommendation letter from an ELI instructor or advisor.
Project Management Overview:
1st Quarter (15 units)
- Project Management Essentials OR Project Management Boot Camp
- Work Team Concepts and Skills
- Business Communication Skills
2nd Quarter (12-15 units)
- Project Planning and Scheduling
- Project Cost and Risk Management
- Leading from the Middle
- Elective: Students will have the opportunity to choose an additional class from a list of business elective courses
Please note: courses are subject to change. For course descriptions, please click here.
Interested in OPT?
Apply for both the Project Management Certificate and a one-quarter Business Essentials Specialized Track certificate (Business Analytics, Digital Marketing, or Leadership and Management) when completing application materials. The Business Admissions advisor will work one-on-one with you to determine your third-quarter option.
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near campus. Access to a car or another source of reliable transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2020 Tuition: $12,000
- (Optional) Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certificate: $3,000
- International Student Service Fee: $760 (2 quarters)
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $1,170 (2 quarters)
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased at UC San Diego upon arrival.)