Project Management with Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certificate
Who should take this certificate?
If you would like to learn the nuances of project management and process improvement from a global perspective, Project Management with Lean Six Sigma Green Belt may be right for you. You will acquire the skills to plan, execute, and complete complex projects within various types of organizations and industries. You will also have the opportunity to apply new tools and methodologies in both comprehensive real-world and simulated hands-on projects. With this powerful combination of professional certificates, you will gain the skills to manage successful, efficient, and high-quality projects as well as complete the educational requirements for the Six Sigma Green Belt Certification exam and the Project Management Institute's PMP or CAPM Certification exams. This intensive certificate can be completed in just two quarters and is designed for working professionals.
- Earn both a Project Management Certificate and a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certificate while implementing a real-life project with a local company or organization.
- Develop highly marketable competencies in project management
- Build strong interpersonal skills critical to conducting work in a team environment; enhance abilities to manage conflicts and address challenging situations.
- Complete a final capstone class, where you will have the opportunity to use the tools acquired in the program to complete a directed-studies project.
- Study with American and international students, building your professional network.
- Fulfills the necessary education hours required to apply for PMI’s Project Management Professional (PMP) exam or PMI’s Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) exam.
- Fulfills the American Society for Quality's (ASQ) education requirements needed to prepare for the Six Sigma Green Belt Certification (CSSBB) exam.
- Take this alone or in sequence with another business program; apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) after three consecutive quarters of study.
- Upon completion of the Project Management Certificate, some units can be transferred to the University of Wisconsin, Platteville, M.S. in Project Management (Master’s degree offered fully online). Learn more at: www.uwplatt.edu/disted/project-management.html
Remaining 2018 Program Dates:
- Fall: September 19 – March 23, 2019
- Spring: March 27 - September 7
- Fall: September 18 - March 21, 2020
The 2018 and 2019 Project Management Certificate includes the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt.
Students may begin this full-time program in spring (March) or fall (September) quarters only. There is no entry to the program in winter or summer. View all program dates & prices.
Note: UC San Diego follows a quarter system. Each quarter consists of 10-12 weeks of full-time study. There are four quarters per year.
You will find the minimum acceptance requirements for the Project Management Certificate below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement:
- TOEFL iBT: 80
- TOEIC: 760
- IELTS: 6.5
- Cambridge First Certificate: Pass
Additional Admission Requirements:
- University study: successful completion of a three or four-year university degree. This requirement can only be waived for students with four or more years of professional work experience.
- Work experience: A minimum of one year of full-time, post-university, professional work experience. Internships and part-time work will not be counted towards this requirement.
- Official final university transcripts in English indicating a strong academic history; include grading key. If you have pursued graduate-level coursework or degrees, you must include those transcripts as well.
- Dated and signed letter of recommendation on university or company letterhead from a professor or supervisor.
- Résumé or CV
- Essay: 200 words explaining your qualifications and motivations for taking the program
- You should have a strong working knowledge of the following Microsoft Office products: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- A spoken language phone screening may be required (this can be conducted in person if you are already in San Diego; otherwise it will be done electronically by phone, Skype, etc.).
- For prospective students who choose to attend English language courses at the UC San Diego English Language Institute in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score, we require a recommendation letter from an ELI instructor or advisor.
2018 Project Management Overview:
1st Quarter (15 units)
- Project Management Essentials OR Project Management Boot Camp
- Work Team Concepts and Skills
- Business Communication Skills
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
2nd Quarter (12-15 units)
- Project Planning and Scheduling
- Project Cost and Risk Management
- Leading from the Middle
- Directed Studies–Capstone Class
- Elective: Students will have the opportunity to choose an additional class from a list of business elective courses
Please note: courses are subject to change. For course descriptions, please click here.
Interested in OPT?
Apply for both the Project Management Certificate and a one-quarter certificate (Business Analytics, Digital Marketing, or Leadership and Management) or one quarter of Business Essentials when completing application materials. The Business Admissions adviser will work one-on-one with you to determine your third-quarter option.
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near campus. Access to a car or another source of reliable transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2018 Tuition: $13,700
- 2019 Tuition: $12,000
- 2018 International Student Service Fee: $700 (2 quarters)
- 2019 International Student Service Fee: $760 (2 quarters)
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $1,170 (2 quarters)
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased at UC San Diego upon arrival.)