Who should take this program?
If you would like a comprehensive overview of U.S. management practices and fundamental business skills, the Business Essentials program may be right for you. Designed to provide a comfortable learning environment for international participants with limited work experience, this program presents opportunities for you to compare and contrast business practices around the globe. You must be 21 years old or older and have at least two years of university experience to participate in this program. If you stay for three quarters, you will be in class with American students during your second and/or third quarter. After three consecutive quarters of study in Business Essentials, you are eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training.
- Develop business skills, knowledge, and abilities by learning American business fundamentals.
- Participate in multiple business modules and get broad exposure to varied business disciplines, including business operations, marketing, human resources, communication, project management, negotiation, bookkeeping, banking, and entrepreneurship.
- Gain practical experience in an American workplace during a 48-hour unpaid on-campus internship.
- Study alongside international and American students and build your network.
- Apply for OPT after three consecutive quarters of study.
Note: UC San Diego Extension International Programs follow a quarter system. Each quarter consists of 10-12 weeks of full-time study. There are four quarters per year.
2017 Program Dates:
- Fall 2017: September 28 – December 15
- Fall 2017: September 28 – March 23, 2018
- Fall 2017: September 28 – June 15, 2018
- Fall 2017: September 28 – September 2018
2018 Program Dates:
- Winter 2018: January 11 – March 23
- Spring 2018: April 5 – June 15
- Summer 2018: June 28 – September 7
- Fall 2018: September 27 – December 14
- Winter 2018: January 11 –June 15
- Spring 2018: April 5 – September 7
- Summer 2018: June 28 – December 14
- Fall 2018: September 27 – March 22, 2019
- Winter 2018: January 11 – September 7
- Spring 2018: April 5 – December 14
- Summer 2018: June 28 – March 22, 2019
- Fall 2018: September 27 – June 14, 2019
The minimum requirements to be accepted in the program are listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Proof of Language Proficiency Requirement:
Additional Admission Requirements:
University studies: two or more years
Work experience: one year preferred, but not required
Official university transcripts, in English, from all universities attended, indicating a strong academic history; include a grading key.
Letter of recommendation from a professor or supervisor attesting to your experience and ability to excel in the relevant field. Must be signed and dated and on university or company letterhead.
Résumé or CV
Essay: 200 words explaining your qualifications and motivation for taking the program
Students must be 20 years old or older to take this program.
There are no final application deadlines to apply for these programs, but all programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants.
Business Essentials Program Overview:
1st Quarter (22 units)
The Business Essentials first-quarter covers a range of business topics including business operations, human resources, communication, team building, project management, negotiation, planning, entrepreneurship, and money and banking. The first quarter also allows you to participate in an on-campus internship. (First quarter textbook included.)
2nd Quarter (15 units)
Second-quarter courses build upon the foundation you develop in the first quarter of Business Essentials. The curriculum consists of the following required courses:
Fundamentals of Business
Basics of Project Management
Business Communication Skills
Real-World Marketing Project
3rd Quarter (12-15 units)
Third-quarter courses continue to enrich your understanding of business practices. The curriculum consists of the following required courses:
4th Quarter (12-15 units)
Note: In 2018, Business Essentials will have only three quarters.
Elements of Marketing
Marketing: Experiential Learning II
1-2 other Marketing classes
Elective–Students will have the opportunity to choose an additional class from a list of business elective courses as determined by the business department.
Note: Courses are subject to change without notice. For course descriptions, please click here.
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near the campus. Access to a car or another source of reliable transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2017 One Quarter Tuition: $7,000
- 2017 Two Quarter Tuition: $11,500
- 2017 Three Quarter Tuition: $16,000
- 2017 Four Quarter Tuition: $19,500
- 2018 One Quarter Tuition: $7,000
- 2018 Two Quarter Tuition: $11,500
- 2018 Three Quarter Tuition: $16,000
- International Student Service Fee: $350 per quarter
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585 (1 quarter)
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $ 1,170 (2 quarters)
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $1,800 (3quarters)
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $2,340 (4 quarters)
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter (Payment for books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance. Books will be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)