Who should take this program?
If you would like a comprehensive overview of U.S. management practices and fundamental business skills, the Business Essentials program may be right for you. Designed to provide a comfortable learning environment for international participants with limited work experience, this program presents opportunities for you to compare and contrast business practices around the globe. If you stay for three quarters, you will be in class with American students during your second and/or third quarter. After three consecutive quarters of study in Business Essentials, you are eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training.
- Develop business skills, knowledge, and abilities by learning American business fundamentals.
- Get broad exposure to multiple business disciplines including business operations, marketing, human resources, and communications.
- Participate in the American Workplace Experience, an experiential learning course. You will have the opportunity visit local businesses and learn directly from San Diego business professionals.
- Study alongside international and American students and build your network.
- Apply for OPT after three consecutive quarters of study.
Note: UC San Diego follows a quarter system. Each quarter consists of 10-12 weeks of full-time study. There are four quarters per year.
2019 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- Winter 2019: January 3 - March 23
- Spring 2019: March 27 - June 14
- Summer 2019: June 19 - September 7
- Fall 2019: September 18 - December 14
- January 3 - June 14
- March 27 - September 7
- June 19 - December 14
- September 18 - March 21, 2020
- January 3 - September 7
- March 27 - December 14
- June 19 - March 21, 2020
- September 18 - June 12, 2020
The minimum requirements to be accepted in the program are listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Proof of Language Proficiency Requirement:
- TOEFL iBT: 75
- TOEIC: 735
- IELTS: 6.0
- Cambridge First Certificate (FCE): Pass
- PTE: 50
- ELI Core Level: 107
Additional Admission Requirements:
- University studies: one year preferred, but not required
- Letter of recommendation from a professor or supervisor attesting to your experience and ability to excel in the relevant field. Must be signed and dated and on academic or company letterhead.
- Résumé or CV
- Essay: minimum 200 words explaining your qualifications and motivation for taking the program
- All official academic transcripts in English indicating a strong academic record; include a grading key
- For prospective students who choose to attend English language classes at the UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI) in place of obtaining an official test score, we require a recommendation from their ELI instructor or advisor.
- A spoken language screening may be required.
There are no final application deadlines to apply for these programs, but all programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants.
Business Essentials Program Overview:
The Business Essentials first-quarter covers a range of business topics.
The curriculum consists of the following required courses:
- Elements of Marketing
- Introduction to Business
- Business Communication Skills
- Fundamentals of Market Research
- Special Topics in Business and Leadership
- The American Workplace Experience
Second-quarter courses build upon the foundation you develop in the first quarter of Business Essentials. The curriculum consists of the following required courses:
- Organizational Behavior
- International Trade Operations
- Business Economics
- Presentation Skills for Business Professionals
- Marketing Project with a local company
Third-quarter courses continue to enrich your understanding of business practices. The curriculum consists of the following required courses:
- Career Preparation Strategies
- 3-4 business course electives–students will have the opportunity to choose additional classes from a list of business elective courses as determined by the business department.
Note: Courses are subject to change without notice.
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near the campus. Access to a car or another source of reliable transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2019 One Quarter Tuition: $6,000
- 2019 Two Quarter Tuition: $12,000
- 2019 Three Quarter Tuition: $18,000
- 2019 International Student Service Fee: $380 per quarter
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585 (1 quarter)
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $ 1,170 (2 quarters)
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $1,800 (3 quarters)
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter (Payment for books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance. Books will be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)