English for Pharmaceutical Sciences
Who should take this course?
If you would like to increase your English fluency while focusing on pharmaceutical and pharmacy topics, English for Pharmaceutical Sciences may be a good fit for you. In this program, you will improve your technical writing, public speaking, pharmaceutical terminology, and communication techniques for pharmacies and clinical settings. High-intermediate and advanced levels of English proficiency are welcome to apply to this program. English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives at UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI). Students who do not obtain the required English level for English for Pharmaceutical Studies will take Conversation and Fluency (beginner, low-intermediate, and intermediate levels).
Can I use my tourist (B) visa or ESTA to attend this program?
If you plan to come to the U.S. mainly for tourism, but you also want to improve your English, you can apply to this 4-week program with reduced weekly hours. Instead of 20 hours of instruction per week, you will have 15 hours per week.
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Participants must have previously taken at least one life sciences course or one chemistry or pharmaceutical science course.
Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- February 3 - 28 - closed
- July 6 - 31
- August 3 - 28
- Monday – Friday
- 20 or 15 hours per week
- Schedule varies
- Technical Writing and Notation for Pharmaceutical Work
- Presentation Skills for Academic and Professional Settings
- U.S. Drug Development and Approval Process
- U.S. Drug Delivery Systems and Practices
- Pharmacist-Patient Communication
- Idiomatic Language in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Settings
- Advanced Readings and Discussion on Pharmaceutical Topics
In the 15-hour/week part-time English for Pharmaceutical Sciences schedule, technical writing and some projects will be omitted.
San Diego is one of the strongest regions in the U.S. for biomedical and pharmaceutical research and development. This program features expert guest speakers from the campus and community, according to their availability.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended) - not necessary in the 15 hours per week program
- 2020 Tuition: $2,600 (20 hours per week / 80 hours total)
- 2020 Tuition: $2,300 (15 hours per week / 60 hours total)
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)