Legal English for Business
Who should take this course?
Students and professionals who are studying or working in the business or law fields and are interested in improving their English through the study of business law topics would benefit from this program. This course will focus on developing skills for various business law scenarios and mastering legal and business vocabulary for effective oral and written communication. Students with a high-intermediate or advanced level of English proficiency are welcome to take this course. English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives at UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI). Students who do not obtain the required English level for this program will take Conversation and Fluency (beginner, low-intermediate, and intermediate levels).
Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- July 6 - 31 - CANCELED due to COVID-19
- August 3 - 28 - CANCELED due to COVID-19
- August 31 - September 25
- 20 or 15 hours per week
- Schedule varies depending on level and courses chosen
- Company Law
- Contracts and Contract Formation
- Real Property Law
- Transnational Commercial Law
- Consumer Protection
- Intellectual Property
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Competition Law
- Employment Law
This program includes a visit to a courthouse to observe a public hearing or trial and expert guest speakers on selected areas of business law. Guest speaker dates vary according to availability.
In the 15-hour/week part-time Legal English for Business schedule, not all listed topics will be covered and some projects will be omitted.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended) - not necessary in the 15 hours per week program
- 2020 Tuition: $2,300 (full-time: 20 hours per week / 80 hours total)
- 2020 Tuition: $2,050 (part-time: 15 hours per week / 60 hours total)
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)