Legal English for Business
Who should take this course?
Students and professionals who are studying or working in the business or law fields and are interested in improving their English through the study of business law topics would benefit from this program. This course will focus on developing skills for various business law scenarios and mastering legal and business vocabulary for effective oral and written communication. Students with a high-intermediate or advanced level of English proficiency are welcome to take this course. English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives at UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI). Students who do not obtain the required English level for this program will take Conversation and Fluency (beginner, low-intermediate, and intermediate levels).
Can I use my tourist (B) visa or ESTA to attend this program?
If you plan to come to the U.S. mainly for tourism, but you also want to improve your English, you can apply to this 4-week program with reduced weekly hours. Instead of 20 hours of instruction per week, you will have 15 hours per week.
2018 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- July 2 – July 27
- July 30 – August 24
- August 27 – September 21
- 20 or 15 hours per week
- Schedule varies depending on level and courses chosen
- Company Law
- Contracts and Contract Formation
- Real Property Law
- Transnational Commercial Law
- Consumer Protection
- Intellectual Property
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Competition Law
This program includes expert guest speakers on selected areas of business law. Guest speaker dates vary according to availability.
In the 15-hour/week part-time Legal English for Business schedule, not all listed topics will be covered and some projects will be omitted.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended) - not necessary in the 15 hours per week program
- Tuition: $2,200 (20 hours per week / 80 hours total)
- Tuition: $1,950 (15 hours per week / 60 hours total)
- International Student Service Fee: $140
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)