Teaching English to the Young Learner
Who should take this program?
If you are already enrolled in the full-time Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Professional certificate or the Special Studies in TEFL certificate program, and you are interested in attaining additional competencies in teaching English as a foreign language to young people, you will benefit from our Teaching English to the Young Learner (TEYL) program.
In 2019, the TEYL program cannot be taken alone and must be paired with one of our other certificates.
What this program includes:
Three required core courses:
- TEYL Classroom Management (3 units)
- Teaching Young English Learners in Primary Grades (Ages 4-7) (3 units)
- Teaching English to Intermediate Young Learners (Ages 8-11) (3 units)
You must choose an additional 3 units from the available electives each quarter.
2019 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 3 – March 15
- April 2 – June 14
- June 25 – September 6
- October 1 – December 6
Please find the minimum requirements listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the TEYL program will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement:
You must have one of the following test scores to participate in this program:
- TOEFL paper-based: 525
- TOEFL internet-based: 69
- TOEIC: 690
- IELTS: 5.5
- Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency Exams: Pass
- CEFR: B2
- GTEC CBT: 1126
- EIKEN: Pre-1
- PTE: 47
- Recommendation letter from UC San Diego ELI advisor for prospective students who excelled in ELI courses and programs (in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score)
Other Admission Requirements:
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application fee: $200
- FedEx fee: $50
- 2019 Concurrent Certificate fee: $100
- 2019 International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)