University Preparation Academy
Who should take this course?
The University Preparation Academy (UPA) focuses on preparing you to enter a master’s degree program at a highly selective and competitive American university. UPA students have a rigorous course load focused on writing, research, and speaking excellence. You will develop the skills necessary to meet the high expectations of faculty and peers at America's top universities. Students with Advanced levels of English proficiency are welcome to apply to this program. Your English proficiency is determined during the first week of the program.
Additional Admission Requirements:
- If you are a continuing student coming directly from UC San Diego’s ELI 8-week programs, you must have excellent attendance and grades in previous ELI classes, placement in one of ELI’s highest proficiency levels, and certain minimum scores on ELI’s placement exams. Continuing students should see the ELI Academic Advisor for program admission requirements.
- You must submit copy of transcripts in English for the four most recent semesters of academic studies. These transcripts must show excellent grades, and that you are in the top 5-10% of your school.
- For program taking place in 2019 new students who meet the academic qualifications need to submit a TOEFL iBT score of 80 or IELTS score of 7 or PTE score of 68.
- For programs taking place in 2020 new students who meet the academic qualifications need to submit a TOEFL iBT score of 80 or IELTS score of 6.5 or PTE score of 64.
Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- June 8 - July 2
- July 6 - 31
- August 3 - 28
- August 31 - September 25
- 4 weeks
- 20 hours per week
- Monday – Friday
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- Can be taken for one or two quarters
- Focus on writing, research, and speaking excellence for university success
- Develop effective skills for meeting faculty and peer expectations in the American university classroom
- Matches your goals and record of achievement to university admission standards
- Assistance choosing degree program
- Guidance in the application process to ensure timely and complete submission of university application materials
Essential University Preparation classes, including:
- Advanced Application of Grammar and Writing
- Paraphrasing and Summarizing
- Analytical Reading and Critical Response
- Advanced Critical Analysis and Discussion
- Discussion and Fluency for University Success
- University Lecture and Note-taking Skills
- University Advising Lab
Concentrated Academic Skills for University Preparation, including:
- Academic Reading and Writing
- Advanced Public Speaking Skills
- Advanced Vocabulary Skills
- Advanced Grammar Skills
The 4-week University Preparation Academy may be taken twice, in two consecutive sessions, for all UPA classes and maximum benefit.
Students who complete one or two sessions in the University Preparation Academy have the opportunity to continue their studies at the ELI until they receive university admission. Students may enroll in Intensive Academic English, Summer Session, or University and Professional Studies following one or two quarters in the Academy.
Note: Courses are offered on a rotation and course offerings will depend on the session you enter the program. ELI reserves the right to make changes to the program and course offerings because of enrollments and individual student needs.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2020 Tuition: $2,300
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)